Sustaining Pastoral Excellence (SPE) offers grants out of three streams:
- Character, which focuses on the internal formation of the pastor, specifically through the ministry of spiritual direction
- Competence, which focuses growth in the core pastoral arts of teaching, preaching, leading, and caring
- Constancy, which emphasizes renewal opportunities through personal retreats or the Covenant’s re-visioning retreats
Descriptions of all grants, and the appropriate application forms to download, can be found on the Applications & Descriptions page.
Pastors, missionaries, and chaplains who are eligible for SPE funding will demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Actively serving in a Covenant church or approved ministry on a permanent, full-time basis, with at least two years of ministry experience
- Currently holding an active Covenant credential (Covenant ministers holding a bi-vocational license, who have completed the Vocational Excellence class, should contact SPE for eligibility information. Ministers with retired credentials are not eligible.)
- In good standing with the Covenant Ministerium (including the payment of conference and national ministerial dues for at least the last two years, completion of a ministerial profile within the last three years, a current Vocational Growth Tool, in collegial relationships and membership in an ECC church.
Complete grant applications must include supporting documentation and materials that describe the desired experience. Applications turned in by one of the pre-designated dates (and at least eight weeks before the experience begins) will receive the swiftest response.
Unless otherwise specified, grants are only available for credentialed Covenant clergy. All persons using grant funds for an event must meet this criterion. SPE is not able to provide funding for a non-clergy-person and/or a clergy spouse.
Complete applications for self-selected grant opportunities will be considered on February 15, April 1, June 1, August 1, October 1, and December 1 of each calendar year.